Re: ext3 inode cache eats system, news at 11

From: Jose R. Santos
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 05:44:06 EST

On 04/26/04 23:02:37, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Nick Piggin <nickpiggin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Andrew Morton wrote:
> >
> > > ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.6-rc2/2.6.6-rc2-mm2/broken-out/slab-order-0-for-vfs-caches.patch
> > >
> > > is not a completely happy solution, but it should fix things up.
> >
> > Another thing you could be doing is not zeroing swapper->nr
> > if the shrinker function doesn't do anything, in order to try
> > to maintain pressure on the dcache. This would be similar to
> > your deferred list idea.
>
> Am now doing this.
>
> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.6-rc2/2.6.6-rc2-mm2/broken-out/shrink_slab-handle-GFP_NOFS.patch

Hi Andrew,

I've been fighting a similar problem to this one on a SpecSFS setup
that Im running and it seems that this patch fixes it. While I was
trying several other patches at the time (all of them not dcache
related) and its hard right now to measure the exact improvement
percentage, I would guess that these patches provides at least a
11% improvement on my 64GB machine.

BTW: I was using JFS on my setup.

Thanks

-JRS