Re: What does tainting actually mean?

From: Keith Duthie
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 01:48:38 EST

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Karim Yaghmour wrote:

> The legal/moral implications of taint/binary-mods/etc. aside, I think it
> may be worth putting some thought into coming up with a way to identify
> which patches were applied to a kernel -- given the wide-spread use of this
> method to add/remove/amend kernel functionality. Maybe there should be a
> /proc/sys/kernel/patches file at runtime which would provide a list of
> applied patches and some characteristics/description? When patches are

Or maybe we could add a line to the top level Makefile to append something
to the version number to indicate things like whether a kernel is a
prerelease and whether/which extra patches have been added.

We could call it something like "EXTRAVERSION"...

--
Just because it isn't nice doesn't make it any less a miracle.
http://users.albatross.co.nz/~psycho/ O- -><-