Re: What does tainting actually mean?

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Wed Apr 28 2004 - 00:23:16 EST

Nigel Cunningham wrote:

Is that true? We can see where the oops occurs. If it's in the module, nothing more needs to be said. If it's in the kernel itself, we can check our source. We could check all the calls the module makes to open source code and validate that the parameters are correct. We should be able to say with authority 'the module is doing the wrong thing'. We might not be able to say exactly what, but we could determine that it is the module.

If only it were that easy.

There has already been a case mentioned of a binary module that messed up something that was only visible once that module was unloaded and another one loaded. It all depends totally on usage patterns.

Generally speaking, if a user is technical enough to patch their kernel, they're aware of the possible problems and will submit bug reports with things like "kernel version blah, with the foo and bar patches applied". The developers can then say "there's a known issue with foo/bar together".

Binary modules, on the other hand, are often loaded up by users that know just barely enough to download them and run an install script. In this case, it can be helpful to know up front that there has been proprietary code running in kernel space, and aside from calls to kernel APIs, we have no clue what else it was doing, what memory was being trampled, what cpu registers were whacked, etc.

Chris