What does tainting actually mean?

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 23:12:09 EST

Hi all.

I'm probably going to regret this, but seeing the current discussion on binary modules makes me wonder:

What does tainting actually mean?

What I mean is, how does it help to know that a kernel is tainted? When I'm working on Software Suspend and someone sends me an oops, I don't really care whether it's marked as tainted or not. For all I know, even if it's not tainted, they may have thrown in half a dozen different patches aside from Suspend, any one of which could be playing a role in the appearance of the oops. It doesn't help me to know that the kernel was tainted. It helps me to know what the non-standard additions are (and how the kernel was configured), regardless of whether the additions mark the kernel tainted or not.

Of course I realise at the same time that maybe tainting has nothing to do with saying 'This isn't an unmodified tree' and everything to do with saying 'This kernel has had non-GPL code interacting with it'. If that's the case, I don't see the relevance of saying (as Paul did a little while ago):

"You deceived maintainers who receive "untainted" bug reports."

Indeed, the surrounding lines seem to make it clear that the real issue is not fixing bugs but politics. Thus my question: What does tainting actually mean?

Regards,

Nigel
--
Nigel Cunningham
C/- Westminster Presbyterian Church Belconnen