Re: I oppose Chris and Jeff's patch to add an unnecessary additionalnamespace to ReiserFS

From: Hans Reiser
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 12:31:42 EST

Christoph Hellwig wrote:

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 09:59:26AM -0700, Hans Reiser wrote:

The xattr namespace offers zero functional advantage over the file namespace. The use of '.' instead of '/' is idiotic, see the very short paper "The Hideous Name" by Rob Pike ( www.cs.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/doc/ ) for why mindlessly varying the separators in hierarchical names throughout an OS is a bad idea.

Hans, where have you been the last three years? Hiding under a rock?

As for ACLs in v3 that's a decision of the maintainer, currently you're
the formal maintainer, but I don't remember a single patch from you.
Most of the linux 2.6 work has been done by Chris and quite a bit of
work by your employees. Chris is paid for doing a stable and working
reiserfs variant for SuSE so he seems to be qualified for doing that, to..

Did you notice that V4 blows XFS and ReiserFS V3 away in benchmarks? That is what I have been doing for 3 years....

See www.namesys.com for details.