Re: File system compression, not at the block layer

From: Jörn Engel
Date: Tue Apr 27 2004 - 11:06:35 EST

On Tue, 27 April 2004 11:42:11 -0400, Timothy Miller wrote:
> Paul Jackson wrote:
>
> >To heck with disk compression - it's time for main memory compression.
>
> I think nVidia and ATI chips do that with the Z buffer. Definately
> improves bandwidth utilization.
^^^^^^^^^

Well stated. For general purpose cpus with unpredictable access
patterns, compression makes latency even worse, so you need even
bigger caches.

On the other hand, memory compression makes memory bigger, and memory
of course is a disk cache, so it does improve latency somewhere.

Jörn

--
Victory in war is not repetitious.
-- Sun Tzu