Re: Kernel Oops during usb usage (2.6.5)

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 12:06:56 EST

Greg KH wrote:
On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 10:56:17PM +0200, E. Oltmanns wrote:

Hello everyone,

through libusb.

Detailed description:
The following script leads to an kernel oops on my System:
#!/bin/bash
scanimage > test &
scanimage -h

This is because scanimage -h tries to append a list of availlable
scanners to the help output and thus interferes with the first
scanimage process which is initializing the scanner at the same
moment.

Heh, then don't do that :)

Accesses by two different processes of the same device through usbfs is
big trouble. Don't do that.

That being said, I have some usbfs locking patches that might help a bit
here that will probably show up in the next -mm release if you want to
see if that helps you out or not.

Just in general, if there is anything a non-root user can do to crash the system, it's probably a kernel bug by definition. It doesn't matter that's it a stupid thing to do, it might be malicious. And in this case it might just be user error.

Glad someone is working on locking, bozos and evil-doers abound ;-)

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)