RE: PROBLEM: Second processor not responding in 2.4.21 and later

From: Marc Rieffel
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 11:10:35 EST

> > 2.4.18-27.7.xsmp 0 3314 0.0000
> > 2.4.18 5 4206 0.0012
> > 2.4.19 12 25786 0.0005
> > 2.4.20-pre4 2 586 0.0034
> > 2.4.20-pre5 2 49 0.0392
> > 2.4.20-pre6 12 745 0.0159
> > 2.4.20 55 3128 0.0173
> > 2.4.20-20.7smp 483 15427 0.0304
> > 2.4.21-4.0.1.ELsmp 155 7278 0.0209
>
> While a difference between 2.4.20-pre4 and -pre5 may be a clue,
> it isn't the root cause, because they're both broken.
> Looks like only 2.4.18-27.7.xsmp (whatever that is) got 0 failures.

True, I haven't seen any failures with that kernel (which comes with Rocks 2.3.2, which is based on RH 7.3). On the other hand, I haven't rebooted it nearly as often as the others, so I can't be confident the error doesn't occur there.

> Any chance you can run a test with, say, 2.6.5?
> It might also be interesting to know what compiler built each kernel..

I did try 2.4.26 and it has the same problem.

I'm afraid I've already spent as much time (and as much hardware) as I can afford on this problem. I wrote a script to reboot if processors are missing. That should suffice for my needs for now.

If anyone else encounters this problem, or someone who knows the smp boot code or the Intel motherboards is interested in helping, please let me know and I'll see what else I can do.