Re: PROBLEM: Kernel lockup on alpha with heavy IO

From: Dru
Date: Mon Apr 26 2004 - 02:12:31 EST

viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 02:37:24PM +1200, Dru wrote:

I've recently installed debian on a alpha box and have a problem with the kernel locking up
after a couple of hours of heavy use. An individual partition will stop responding, all processes
that try and access it will just sit there waiting and you have to reboot the server.
I've been using a mixture of IDE drives and they all do this. I thought it might be the motherboard
so i've installed a pci ide controller card, had same effect. I've tried accessing files over usb devices
as a finial ditch effort but it also does it there also so i am sure it is in the kernel and not
the hardware that is at fault.

... or you have problems with heat dissipation. Get into SRM right after
the deadlock and say show power - that should, IIRC, give you temperatures.

Its a pretty heavy duty case with lots of cooling fans. Its very easy to
reproduce. Start up 10 cp commands on the same partition, run hdparm
-t -T /dev/sda and it will lockup within 10 seconds. The machine is rock
solid under heavy cpu, with no io traffic. It never has kernel panic'ked
(as i would expect with temperature problems.) If you perform more
than one write command to the same partition at the very same time,
no matter what the type drive/device it is, it locks up.

Does anyone else successfully run linux and debian testing on alpha's
with 2.6 kernels?