Re: nvidia binary driver broken with 2.6.6-rc{1,2}, reverting a-mm patch makes it work

From: Antony Suter
Date: Fri Apr 23 2004 - 11:44:48 EST

Marc wrote:
> On Friday 23 April 2004 10:30, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> Hi Ralf,
>
> > > Because of a patch from -mm merged in mainstream i cannot get the
nvidia
> > > binary to work with the 2.6.6 release candidates. I get this
message
> > > when doing `modprobe nvidia`:
>
> > $ uname -a
> > Linux hummus2 2.6.6-rc2-bk1 #1 Thu Apr 22 14:15:08 CEST 2004 i686
> > GNU/Linux
> > nvidia works like a charm here.
>
> that's the problem. It works for many people, for many others not. It
always
> worked fine for me too but I had to rip that out of my 2.6-WOLK tree
> satisfy all people using wolk and lack of knowledge to fix that by
myself.

I had this problem, and I resolved it for me like this: In the
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg?.run archive from Nvidia are multiple make
files. By default, my distro was using the make file "makefile" and it
stopped working. I switched to using "Makefile.kbuild", which is
oriented to 2.6 kernels, and it works again. Comments within
Makefile.kbuild touch on changes to module handling in 2.6 compared to
2.4.

--
- Antony Suter (suterant users sourceforge net) "Bonta"
- "...through shadows falling, out of memory and time..."