Re: d_splice_alias() problem.

From: Nikita Danilov
Date: Fri Apr 23 2004 - 11:22:14 EST

Andreas Dilger writes:
> On Apr 23, 2004 17:02 +0400, Nikita Danilov wrote:
> > Suppose we have an inode with ->i_nlink == 1. It's accessed over NFS and
> > DCACHE_DISCONNECTED dentry D1 is created for it. Then, unlink request
> > comes for this file. nfsd looks name up in the parent directory
> > (nfsd_unlink()->lookup_one_len()). File system back-end uses
> > d_splice_alias(), but it only works for directories and we end up with
> > second (this time connected) dentry D2.
> >
> > It's hard to imagine how new name can be identified with one among
> > multiple anonymous dentries, which is necessary for
> > NFSEXP_NOSUBTREECHECK export to work reliably.
> >
> > One possible work-around is to forcibly destroy all remaining
> > DCACHE_DISCONNECTED dentries when ->i_nlink drops to zero, but I am not
> > sure that this is possible and solves all problems of having more
> > dentries than there are nlinks.
>
> We use a patch for Lustre which solves this problem. When there is
> a lookup-by-inum done on the server there is the possibility to get a
> DISCONNECTED dentry as you say. However, if we ever do another lookup
> on this inode we verify that either this is a disconnected dentry and
> return the existing dentry, or if it is a connected dentry we essentially
> "rename" the disconnected dentry and connect it to the tree and return
> that. There can never be both connected and disconnected dentry aliases
> on an inode at one time.

I am not sure I understand this description correctly, but it looks
pretty much like what d_splice_alias() is supposed to do according to
the comment on top of it.

What I missed is that inode can have no more than one disconnected
dentry even if it has multiple names. Hence when lookup-by-name happens
list we can d_move disconnected dentry in place of the named one. This
is no worse that what is done currently by d_find_alias() that
identifies disconnected dentry with arbitrary connected.

> This is handled inside the ext3 lookup code, I'm not sure how easy/hard
> it would be to make a generic VFS patch to do the same.
>
> Cheers, Andreas

Nikita.