Re: Benchmarking objrmap under memory pressure

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Thu Apr 22 2004 - 15:01:50 EST

Hugh Dickins wrote:
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Bill Davidsen wrote:

Hugh Dickins wrote:

The worst that will happen with anonmm's mremap move, is that some
app might go slower and need more swap. Unlikely, but agreed possible.

It appears that users on small memory machines running kde are not of concern to you. Unfortunately that describes a fair number of people, not everyone has the big memory fast system. I will try to get some reproducible numbers, but "consistently feels faster" is a reason to keep running -aa even if I can't quantify it.

Appearances can be deceptive. Of course I care about users,
of small or large memory machines, running kde or not.

It appears that you do not understand that we're talking about a
case so rare that we've never seen it in practice, only by testing.

But perhaps we haven't looked out for it enough (no printk), I'd better
put something in to tell us when it does occur, thanks for the reminder.

If -aa consistently feels faster to you, great, go with it:
but I doubt it's because of this issue we're discussing!

I don't disagree on that, but it seems that KDE developers have put some serious effort into making the software well-behaved, and unless there is some measurable benefit from the code which negates the benefits of that effort, it seems desirable to appreciate code code by letting it work.

I was more commenting on the good performance at the bottom end than addressing the large machines. All the big machines I have are in the overkill range, and finding small benefits doesn't do much with production loads, so I can't contribute any useful info at that end.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)