Re: Why is CONFIG_SCSI_QLA2X_X always enabled?

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Thu Apr 22 2004 - 12:21:13 EST

On 22 Apr 2004 12:39:34 -0400 James Bottomley wrote:

| On Thu, 2004-04-22 at 12:28, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
| > A nuisance or annoyance perhaps. Here's a patch for it.
|
| No, it's a variable used to determine whether the user should be asked
| about qla2xxx or not.

As it is, for some large %age of users (say 99% ?), those 6 qla drivers
show up in the config menu when they aren't needed or wanted.
They get in the way.

| The proposed patch is obviously not correct, because we don't want the
| user to be asked about it.

You want it to always be presented (if PCI && SCSI) ?
No, it should be a selectable option iff PCI && SCSI.

| A better fix might be to make the qla2xxx a menu dependent on SCSI &&
| PCI

It already does. The problem is that is defaults to the value of
(SCSI && PCI) when a large number of people don't need that
default value. IOW, it's a bad choice for a default value.

--
~Randy
"We have met the enemy and he is us." -- Pogo (by Walt Kelly)