ext3 reservation question.

From: Badari Pulavarty
Date: Wed Apr 21 2004 - 19:10:19 EST

Hi Andrew,

I was just wondering, what would make sense..

Lets say I have a "goal" for allocation, but the goal is not inside my
reservation window. Is it worth *try* to satisfy the goal by throwing
out our window ? Or should we ignore goal and allocate from the
current reservation window ?

And also, how does ext3 determines the goal ?

I am worried about a case, where multiple threads writing to
different parts of same file - there by each thread thrashing
reservation window (since each one has its own goal).

BTW, the current reservation code honors "goal" and throws our
window and tries to get a new one to satisfy the goal.

Thanks,
Badari