Re: /dev/psaux-Interface

From: Sau Dan Lee
Date: Wed Apr 21 2004 - 09:16:41 EST

>>>>> "Tuukka" == Tuukka Toivonen <tuukkat@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Tuukka> We shouldn't want _the_ /dev/psaux, but something similar,
Tuukka> possibly better. What I'm after (and probably Sau Dan Lee
Tuukka> too) is direct access to at least psaux-port.

Right!

Tuukka> My idea is to modify serio to expose all (or at least all
Tuukka> unconnected) ports into userspace, where programs can
Tuukka> write/read them just like the /dev/psaux before. Then it's
Tuukka> just matter of symlinking /dev/psaux into correct device.

Good suggestion.

Actually, I have a side issue with input/i8042 related things: The
keyboard on my laptop worked slightly different: On 2.4.*, SysRq is
activated using a [Fn] key-combo, which agrees with the keycap labels
on the laptop keyboard. After upgrading to 2.6, that key-combo no
longer works. Instead, I must use Alt-PrintScreen as the key for
SysRq. (And unfortunately, PrintScreen is a [Fn] combo on the laptop,
thus requiring press 3 keys at the same time for SysRq, and a fourth
key to use the various SysRq features. Very inconvenient.) Is this
again due to some dirty translation processes down in the input layer?
Is the input layer always assuming that Alt-PrintScreen == SysRq?
This is not always true. Can the input layer be so configured that it
never tries to interpret the scancodes, but pass them to the upper
layers?

--
Sau Dan LEE ???(Big5) ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)

E-mail: danlee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx