Re: System hang with ATI's lousy driver

From: Joel Jaeggli
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 17:31:41 EST

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Timothy Miller wrote:

> Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Timothy Miller wrote:
> >

> >>So, since XFree86's lousy open-source Radeon driver won't do OpenGL
> >>right, I am forced to use ATI's lousy proprietary Radeon driver. With
> >>that, I can do OpenGL right, but when I exit the X server, the system
> >>hangs completely. I get lots of vertical lines on the screen, but I
> >>can't even ping the computer.
> >

> > you didn't specify which ati card?
>
> Sorry. Radeon 9000 Pro.

kernel drm + xfree86 driver will actually provide accelerated opengl
support in Xwindows albiet without quite as many hardware features as the
proprietary driver on all the rv2xx chipsets including the 9000 but not
on the later models.

kernel drm & radeonfb have been reported to not play very well with each
other in other venues. vesafb is known to work in this situation though.