stack dumps, CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER and i386 (was Re: sysrq shows impossible call stack)

From: Roland Dreier
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 12:52:33 EST

Your question prompted me to look at show_trace() in
arch/i386/kernel/traps.c. I see that even in kernels as new as 2.6.5,
there is no attempt to use frame pointers for stack dumps even when
CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER is set. I seem to remember some patches to do
this floating around a while ago. How did that discussion end up?

(Red Hat seems to have something to do this in the source for the
version of 2.4.21 that they ship in RHEL 3, but none of their shipped
kernels turn on CONFIG_FRAME_POINTER).

Thanks,
Roland