Re: NIC inerrupt

From: Richard B. Johnson
Date: Tue Apr 20 2004 - 10:42:37 EST

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Axel [iso-8859-15] Weiß wrote:

> Am Montag, 19. April 2004 14:46 schrieb John Que:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to count the number of times I reach an NIC receive
> > interrupt.
> >
> > I added a global static variable of type int , and initialized
> > it to 0 ; each time I am in the rx_interrupt of the card I incerement
> > it by one;
> > I got large , non sensible numbers after one or two seconds;
> >
> > So for debug I added printk each time I increment it in rx_interrupt.
> >
> > What I see is that there are unreasonable jumps in the number
> >
> > for instance , it inceremnts sequntially from 1 to 80,then jums to 4500,
> > increments a little sequentially to 4580, and the jums again to
> > 11000 ;
> >
> > Is it got to do with it that this is in interrupt?
> > Any idea what it can be ?
> >

> > (I also tried to declare it as static in the rx_interrupt method
> > and the same happened)
>
> Probably you didn't declare your count variable 'volatile'?
>
> Axel
>
> --
> Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
> Institut für Informatik
> Signalverarbeitung und Mustererkennung
> Dipl.-Inf. Axel Weiß
> Rudower Chaussee 25
> 12489 Berlin-Adlershof
> +49-30-2093-3050

How about `cat /proc/interrupts`. That should tell him how
many interrupts the NIC got..

CPU0
0: 123073 IO-APIC-edge timer
1: 1131 IO-APIC-edge keyboard
2: 0 XT-PIC cascade
17: 18550 IO-APIC-level BusLogic BT-958
18: 69272 IO-APIC-level eth0 <----------
NMI: 0
LOC: 123029
ERR: 0
MIS: 0

Do the simple stuff first. Only get compilcated if necessary.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.4.26 on an i686 machine (5596.77 BogoMips).