Re: Questions : disk partition re-reading

From: Rob Couto
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 17:39:32 EST

On Sunday 18 April 2004 09:24 am, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have 2 questions about disk partitioning under linux 2.6.x :
>
> 1/ Is it possible to alter a disk partition of a used disk and beeing
> able to use the modified partition without having to reboot the box?

as already stated,it can be. fdisk tries to refresh the kernel's copy of the
table every time it writes, and hdparm -Z /dev/hdx does the same, but both
will fail if any partitions are mounted from that disk. unmounting, then
re-partitioning, then remounting lets it work... this is often useful to me
when working from rescue disks but never when booted from that drive, or
if /usr, /var, or /tmp are on it

--
Rob Couto [rpc@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
computer safety tip: use only a non-conducting, static-free hammer.