Re: How to make Linux route multicast traffic bi-directionly betweenmultible subnets

From: Kevin P. Fleming
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 15:18:39 EST

Jose Luis Domingo Lopez wrote:

So, to summarize, your best bet is to get "mrouted" or something like
that, and have a look at the documentation bundled. You are quite right,
multicast routing documentation for Linux seems to be quite old, rather
short, and maybe out of date.

That it is, but if you use the mrouted source and patches from the Debian distribution it's fairly easy to get a basic network working. It took me a few days to get it all set up, but I now have a router that routes multicast between local devices and two remotes over OpenVPN tunnels. Setting up mrouted was actually pretty easy, once I figured out that's what I needed and got the Debian patches so it would compile.