Re: ifplugd/e1000 oops

From: Cef (LKML)
Date: Mon Apr 19 2004 - 00:37:26 EST

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 03:00 pm, Adam Goode wrote:

> I'm using ifplugd to monitor the link beat and automatically bring up
> or down the network interfaces on my laptop.
>
> When I unplugged my cable today, I got an oops. When I plugged it back
> in, nothing happened. (Normally it should beep and bring the interface
> back up.) When I removed and inserted the e1000 module, I got a freeze.

I've got a report of a similar oops, also using ifplugd. User in question (on
IRC) is complaining that this has been happening for all of 2.6, in late 2.5
(hasn't pinpointed any specific version) and in 2.4 since about 2.4.23.

Unfortunately in his case, it dies processing interrupts, so he gets nothing
on disk, and is reluctant to set up a serial console on his box. I've tried
emulating it here, but as yet have had no luck in getting it to oops.

Note: He's using an Intel EEPro/100B in his box, though he has a spare
(unused) Realtek 8029 in there as well.

BTW: Kernel & ifplugd versions might be useful.