Re: Questions : disk partition re-reading

From: DervishD
Date: Sun Apr 18 2004 - 13:03:40 EST

Hi Remi :)

* Remi Colinet <remi.colinet@xxxxxxx> dixit:
> 1/ Is it possible to alter a disk partition of a used disk and beeing
> able to use the modified partition without having to reboot the box?

sfdisk -R <disk-you-want-to-get-its-partition-table-reread>

> 2/ Is it possible to delete a disk partition without having the
> partition numbers changed?

For primary partitions, it is possible. Don't know for extended
ones :??

> Do I need to upgrade fdisk or use an other utility?

AFAIK, fdisk will do, except for rereading. Well, 'fdisk'
actually *do* a rereading, but only after altering the partition
table of the disk. 'sfdisk' can do it on demand, but if the disk is
busy the BKLRRPART ioctl will fail.

Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736