Re: NFS and kernel 2.6.x

From: Marc Singer
Date: Sun Apr 18 2004 - 00:04:36 EST

On Sat, Apr 17, 2004 at 05:57:46PM -0700, Trond Myklebust wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-04-17 at 15:22, Marc Singer wrote:
> > I have a data point for comparison.
> >
> > I'm copying a 40MiB file over NFS. In five trials, the mean transfer
> > times are
> >
> > UDP (v2): 48.5s
> > TCP (v3): 52.7s
>
> Against what kind of server on what kind of network, with what kind of
> mount options?
> The above would be quite reasonable performance on a 10Mbit network
> against a filer or a Linux server with the (insecure) "async" option
> set.

Client is a 200MHz ARM; server is a Linux host running 2.6.3 with the
kernel nfs daemon; network is 100Mib. There is nothing else on the
network except intermittent broadband traffic. Async is set on the
server side.

While I have seen much worse performance in the last couple of weeks,
I cannot blame NFS when I look at the numbers.