Re: NFS and kernel 2.6.x

From: Daniel Egger
Date: Sat Apr 17 2004 - 09:19:23 EST

On Sat, 2004-04-17 at 07:24, Trond Myklebust wrote:

> > Great you want to help here. So I've a system which is NFS root using a
> > 3c940 gigabit onboard NIC on kernel 2.6.5 and which is dead fish in the
> > water somewhere in between 10 seconds and 5 minutes after boot using
> > NFS over UDP. The last thing I see are 3 or 4 messages of the type:

> ...and if you use TCP?

My bad, I got confused; with TCP I get the hangs, with UDP the data
corruption. Unfortunately it doesn't want to hang for me me right now.
:( ...

> > server 192.168.11.2 not responding, still trying

> The other thing I'd need is a tcpdump. Something like "tcpdump -s 9000
> -w dump.out"...

but I have two different tasty cases of data corruption using NFS over
UDP traced for you which I'll send you in private. The first one
corrupts init so that it segfaults, the second one probably crashes the
rc starter to that I'm left with an unusable getty login on console.

I'll try to get the TCP problems traced as well but right now I don't
have the time to wait....

--
Servus,
Daniel