Re: [RFC] fix sysfs symlinks

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Fri Apr 16 2004 - 19:05:10 EST

viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 03:37:32PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:

Since when did we ever assume that renaming a kobject would rename the
symlinks that might point to it? Renaming kobjects are a hack that way,
if you use them, you need to be aware of this limitation.

Since we assume that these symlinks actually reflect some relationship
between the objects and are really needed for something. If they are
not - why the hell do we keep them at all?

I was wondering the same thing :)

Ideally one would think that userland can deduce relationships by looking at the attribute information sysfs already provides -- and if not, it's just one more bit of info to export via sysfs.

Jeff