Re: [Pcihpd-discuss] [RFC] New sysfs tree for hotplug

From: Grant Grundler
Date: Fri Apr 16 2004 - 18:44:02 EST

On Fri, Apr 16, 2004 at 03:34:36PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > Recent large machines have many PCI devices and some boards that
> > contain devices (e.g. CPU, memory, and/or I/O devices). A certain PCI
> > device (PCI1) might be connected with other one (PCI2), which means that
> > there is a dependency between PCI1 and PCI2.
>
> You have this today?

I interpreted his comments to mean PCI-PCI Bridges.
eg something like a 4-port NIC which usually has a PCI-PCI bridge
to "isolate" multiple PCI devices (NICs):
+-[60]---01.0-[61]--+-04.0 Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21142/43
| +-05.0 Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21142/43
| +-06.0 Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21142/43
| \-07.0 Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21142/43

I thought this was already handled though so I may be misunderstanding.
Keiichiro, an example would be very helpful in understanding.

> Hm, no. What about usb, firewire, scsi and any other future bus that
> can be "hotpluggable". The kernel doesn't treat them differently, and
> we shouldn't either.

SCSI has a heirarchy as well. Ie LUNs can be removed without
removing the target (RAID controllers). Normal JBOD use equates
LUNs and targets.

grant