Re: NFS export ... again

From: Trond Myklebust
Date: Fri Apr 16 2004 - 11:20:36 EST

On Fri, 2004-04-16 at 00:05, fabian.frederick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Trond, Chris,
>
> AFAICS, nfsd/export code already does some nfs cache poll through RPC to generate /proc/nfs/exports .... But content appears broken to me as it relates progressive mounting points but never umounts.We only have to fix this in my opinion ... or maybe I'm lured by multi-versioning there ...

/proc/nfs/exports is a server-side thing, and just reflects the kernel's
cache of currently exported filesystems. It is controlled by mountd by
means of a syscall...

I don't see what you are getting at here. There is no such thing as a
reliable way of ensuring that the server has a fully uptodate list of
all clients that are currently mounting a filesystem: Clients can and do
crash. When they do, they will fail to send a "umount" call to the
server. When that happens, the reference count in /var/lib/nfs/rmtab
will be wrong, and so all these lists from /proc/fs/nfs/exports to
"showmount" will show clients that are no longer there.

Just don't rely on that information: it will never be completely
correct.

Cheers,
Trond