Re: CONFIG_4KSTACKS in mm2?

From: Sid Boyce
Date: Wed Apr 07 2004 - 19:03:50 EST

Ralf Hindlebrand wrote:
* Zwane Mwaikambo <zwane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> >/ > That's what I did (and it works) -- but it's not really intuitive or/
> >/ > even configurable (in the way of menuconfig or something)./
>/ >/
> >/ Andrew Morton turned it on unconditionally on purpose for wider testing./

> Yep. It doesn't work with Nvidia's nvidia kernel drivers. But what's
> new :)

What's new is that I forgot to turn it off, I'd been running 2.6.5-cko1, built 2.6.5-mm1, booted up and installed nvidia kernel for it. I ended up with a trashed HD which needed reformatiing and a fresh install. I don't know what symptoms I should have seen, perhaps nvidia failing to work. I suspect it was a combination of 4K_STACKS and some hardware bug for which I am going to change the motherboard, memory and Athlon CPU as I've had odd hangs during boot. A few boots hung, finally I disabled level 2 cache and it came up, so I think I will leave the next bootup till the new stuff is installed. I previously had a hard drive that would not boot fully after starting X with nvidia, though it's mountable as hdc1 and I can get at all the stuff I need.
Regards
Sid.