Re: Rewrite Kernel

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Wed Apr 07 2004 - 13:59:44 EST

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 09:58:49 EDT, "Richard B. Johnson" said:

> It's called a compiler and we already have several versions, none
> optimum.

However, I do believe that all the currently supported compilers are able
to beat out any programmers over the long run - we can use asm tricks
to hand-tune very small sections of hot-spot code, but nobody can sustain
that level of hand-optimization for 10K or 20K lines of code.

Anybody thinking of this is almost surely better off spending their time
coming up with new and better algorithms.