A puzzling thing about RAID5: syslogd write the log success but anotherprocess can not read the /var/log/messages

From: Gewj
Date: Wed Apr 07 2004 - 08:27:50 EST

hammm,tonight is funny because I got a puzzling thing just as....

my setup is a two-scsi-disk raid5 configuration...
(Linux version 2.4.18-18.7.xsmp (Red Hat Linux 7.3 2.96-112)) #1 SMP Wed
Nov 13 19:01:42 EST 2002)
it work well for a long time, but now I found some day early one of the
scsi disks failed, and I found out
that that time syslogd restarted(why??) and it could write log infor to
log file successfully.
but at the same time , another process(named such as B,run by root) can
not read
the /var/log/messages,or what's more exactly, the messages file was look
like empty to B then.
(of course, the syslogd write log infor to /var/log/messages )

I wonder that if syslogd write the log infor to the well-work scsi disk
, but the process B
read the /var/log/messages from the crashed scsi disk,which cause it
just like a empty file.

yes, it is quite unbelievable. but can some one show me a clue to this
puzzling problem?
What is the proper course of this action?