Re: OOPS in __alloc_pages on x86

From: Jaco Kroon
Date: Wed Apr 07 2004 - 02:17:30 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

Jaco Kroon <jkroon@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

And on 2.6.5:

ifconfig: page allocation failure. order:0, mode:0x20
Call Trace:
[<c013df67>] __alloc_pages+0x2d7/0x390
[<c013e042>] __get_free_pages+0x22/0x60
[<c014216f>] cache_grow+0x11f/0x470
[<c014262f>] cache_alloc_refill+0x16f/0x4e0
[<c014306f>] kmem_cache_alloc+0x19f/0x1c0
[<c0260dfc>] alloc_skb+0x1c/0xe0
[<c023cb41>] tulip_init_ring+0xa1/0x160
[<c023c6f6>] tulip_open+0x36/0x50
[<c0265437>] dev_open+0xb7/0xf0
[<c0266cf8>] dev_change_flags+0x58/0x140
[<c02a4b27>] devinet_ioctl+0x2b7/0x6a0
[<c02a6cf0>] inet_ioctl+0xb0/0xf0
[<c025d93c>] sock_ioctl+0xac/0x260
[<c0174a1d>] sys_ioctl+0x8d/0x220
[<c0107a77>] syscall_call+0x7/0xb

When configuring the network card upon boot.

I don't know why you'd fail an allocation on boot. How much memory does
that machine have?

64MB. And by upon boot I mean during the init process, not actually the kernel boot itself. System startup might be a better phrase in the context. By the time ifconfig executes there should still be plenty of memory left, plus 128MB swap.

You should increase /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes.

There's not a lot more we can do about this really, unless the driver is
actually buggy. Perhaps the default min_free_kbytes could be increased for
however much memory you have.

Will deffinately try this.

Thanks

Jaco