Re: kernel stack challenge

From: Peter Chubb
Date: Tue Apr 06 2004 - 23:31:50 EST

>> The only one is that performance would suffer because of use of
>> higher level language than C or Assembler.

Horst> Because the performance and size of kernel code is _critical_,
Horst> maybe? Because much of the kernel code has been carefully
Horst> tuned for maximum performance perhaps?

>> There is a reason people use languages like PERL, Java and so on.

Horst> And there are solid reasons for _not_ writing operating system
Horst> kernels in them too...

Hey, why not just port Xemacs to run on the bare metal. That way you
get a lisp interpreter `for free'. :-)
--
Dr Peter Chubb http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au peterc AT gelato.unsw.edu.au
The technical we do immediately, the political takes *forever*