Re: kernel stack challenge

From: Sergiy Lozovsky
Date: Tue Apr 06 2004 - 20:37:10 EST

--- Horst von Brand <vonbrand@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sergiy Lozovsky <serge_lozovsky@xxxxxxxxx> said:
>
> Why do you think it has been 2 pages (8KiB) for as
> long as I remember
> (essentially forever in Linux), and it has taken a
> _lot_ of work to shrink
> it to 4KiB (- size of *current)?

I described the possible solution (virtual stack)
which can easily take care of this problem for some
subsystems, or am I wrong. If code doesn't allocate
big buffers in stack my solution can make conversion
of existing code possible without _lot_ of work. (I'm
lazy - remember :-)

What do you think about my solution? Despite some
additional overhead, but I don't think that it is
significant.

Serge.