amd64 questions

From: Bryan Koschmann - GKT
Date: Tue Apr 06 2004 - 18:40:27 EST

I've spent the past week trying to find a full answer on amd64 support.
Maybe I'm just not understanding it, but all I can find are debian howtos.

I'm running 2.4.25 on slack 9.1. I was assuming I could simply recompile
the kernel for the amd64, and then whatever other bits of software I
wanted specifically to run at 64bit, but it's not seeming that way.

Should 2.4.25 be able to run 64bit, or are is it more of an all or nothing
type thing?

Thanks,

Bryan