Re: kernel stack challenge

From: viro
Date: Tue Apr 06 2004 - 17:58:20 EST

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 06:44:48PM -0400, Timothy Miller wrote:
> >5. Well known. So there would be people around who
> >already know this language and expectations are clear.
> >And there are books around about this language.
>
> LISP completely violates this requirement. While I appreciate the power
> of LISP for abstraction, list processing, and how it lends itself
> towards many AI-related tasks, it's not a commonly-used language.

Whether it's commonly-used or not, there's another killer problem with LISP -
it's fragmented worse than even Pascal. And "which subset and extensions
do we have in $IMPLEMENTATION" is worth "which language are we dealing with".
Worse, actually. If you want a functional language - at least pick a
well-defined one.