Re: PTS alocation problem with 2.6.4/2.6.5

From: Jamie Lokier
Date: Tue Apr 06 2004 - 12:57:05 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:
> You need a glibc upgrade - we broke things for really old glibc's. We're
> (slowly) working on fixing it up.

Looking at patch-2.6.4, there are plenty of minor changes to the pty
code but nothing that looks like it would break userspace except for
_very_ old glibcs that don't know about /dev/pts at all and just used
the legacy ones.

I have some _non-glibc_ pty code that I wish to keep working. Can you
briefly explain how it breaks with moderately old glibcs such as the
glibc-2.3.3 that's said to be inadequate, and therefore what interface
change is needed in non-glibc code?

Thanks,
-- Jamie