Text Console Mode && Sync on Green 60 Hz Monitors with 2.6.4

From: David Lloyd
Date: Tue Apr 06 2004 - 06:18:58 EST

Hi There,

I have a special card that is able to run my ancient Sync on Green, 60
Hz (vertical) monitor. It's a 21", genuine trinitron tube monitor with
excellent colour definition and I like it - it's my precioussss and
we're not going to stop using it.

Now, this monitor and my video card display the following
characteristics:

* if it runs in graphical mode the scan modelines MUST be 60 Hz
(vertical) _and_ it must be within about 1% of 60Hz

ModeLine "Left 1280x1024" 108.00 1280 1284 1452 1680 1024 1030 1033
1066 -hsync -vsync

- if the values change or go "wrong" the video card and adapter get
totally confused and essentially I lose sync and can't get it back
again

* if it runs in text mode it runs fine

It does NOT run in Framebuffer mode nicely.

Now, I've downloaded:

2.6.4 (from the Debian source tree)

and

2.6.4 (from a kernel.org mirror)

...now I've turned off framebuffer support but 2.6.4 sends my
monitor/card combo into no-sync. I've set the "video=vga16:off" in
lilo.

Funnily enough, I've basically imported the settings from my older
2.6.0-test9 [a Debian version] which DOES work and it still upsets my
monitor. It works under 2.4.18-bf2.4.

I am wondering what might have changed if anything...

DSL

--
Open Source Business Network SA
http://osbn.inetd.com.au/