PTS alocation problem with 2.6.4/2.6.5

From: Andrzej Krzysztofowicz
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 18:01:36 EST

I noticed serious problem with PTS alocation on kernels 2.6.4 and 2.6.5:
It seems that once alocated /dev/pts entries are never reused, leading to
pty alocation errors. The testing system is fully compiled with kernel 2.2.x
headers (including glibc), but informations from my coleagues using systems
compiled on 2.4/2.6 headers seems to behave similarily.
The testcase and used kernel configuration are shown below.
Kernel 2.6.3 does not have this problem.
Is it bug or feature (and I am doing sth wrong) ?

NOTE: I realize that my glibc does not support minors > 255, so no more pts-es
is available, but problem is leakage of _free_ pts-es.

[ankry@green SPECS]$ for a in $(seq 4);do ssh -t remote tty;done
/dev/pts/253
Connection to remote closed.
/dev/pts/254