Re: [2.4] NMI WD detected lockup during page alloc

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 17:23:07 EST

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 12:27:34AM +0300, Oleg Drokin wrote:
> In addition to what I have compiled in:
> # lsmod
> Module Size Used by Not tainted
> ppp_deflate 4568 1 (autoclean)

you may want to disable compression, this sounds like mm corruption and
compression isn't trivial to handle in kernel skbs (though I doubt this
is the problem but it's easy to disable).

> ipt_state 1016 4 (autoclean)

the hang while unloading this module may also be a sign of a bug in the
module so it would be nice if you could reproduce also w/o the above
ips_state.

If this still doesn't help then you can try to go UP again, SMP is
harder at stressing the memory bus and see if it stabilizes. Other thing
you can do is to remove half of the ram and see if it stabilizes to try
to identify buggy ram slots.

Overall it's unlikely the oops is useful unfortunately since that piece
of the kernel is the most stressed ever, and it just signals random mm
corruption. I assume this is the first time you've got the nmi watchdog
oops, if you could get it again it would be more interesting, I'd expect
next time you would get it in another place.

hope this helps.