Re: 2.6.5-aa1

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 14:03:21 EST

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 08:31:29PM +0200, Marcus Hartig wrote:
> Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
>
> >That should reduce the scope of the problem, I had a look at the
> >diff between rc3 and 2.6.5 final but I found nothing obvious that could
> >explain your problem (yet).
>
> It seems to be CONFIG_PREEMPT. I have compiled the 2.6.5-aa1 only without
> it and ET runs now 30min without a signal11.

sounds good, probably a preempt bug in the alsa code or an rcu issue or
something like that. my tree has the most important fixes in the
writeback code from Takashi to provide the same lowlatency w/ or w/o
CONFIG_PREEMPT so you shouldn't notice much difference either ways. It
was a good decision to leave preempt off for higher reliability too,
preempt isn't just a matter of spinlocks, sometime you need explicit
preempt_disable to make it work right.

still it'd be nice to fix it purerly as an exercise, exercises are
useful nevertheless ;).