Re: [ANNOUNCE] various linux kernel devtools : device handling/memory mapping/profiling/etc.

From: Greg KH
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 13:24:12 EST

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 07:33:22PM +0200, wdebruij@xxxxxx wrote:
> - a generic device file interface, which abstracts away kernelversion
> differences, devfs/mknod/udev differences and memory addressing differences.

I don't see anything in there that will work properly for udev. Am I
just missing the code somewhere? Remember, for udev to work, you have
to create stuff in sysfs, which I don't see this code doing.

> - a generic pci initialization interface. Could perhaps be merged with the
> existing PCI subsytem. I needed it for implementing a PCI driver (more below)

Ick, you are using pci_find_device() which is racy, depreciated, and
does not play nice with the rest of the kernel. Yes, it's the lowest
common denominater accross 2.2, 2.4, and 2.6, but please don't sink to
that level if you don't have to. For 2.6 it's just not acceptable.

I agree that at times the current kernel driver api learning curve is a
bit steep. But people are working to reduce that curve where they can,
and it's one of my main priorities for 2.7. Any help and suggestions
that you might have in that area are greatly appreciated.

thanks,

greg k-h