Re: kernel stack challenge

From: Sergiy Lozovsky
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 13:00:54 EST

--- Timothy Miller <miller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sergiy Lozovsky wrote:
>

> > I put LISP interpreter inside the Kernel -
>

> I'm dying to know why you need a LISP interpreter
> inside the kernel.

It is explained at my project home page -
http://vxe.quercitron.com

Basically there are two reasons.

1. Give system administrator possibility to change
security policy easy enough without C programminig
inside the kernel (we should not expect system
administartor to be a kernel guru). Language of higher
lavel make code more compact (C - is too low level,
that's why people use PERL for example or LISP). Lisp
was chosen because of very compact VM - around 100K.

2. Protect system from bugs in security policy created
by system administrator (user). LISP interpreter is a
LISP Virtual Machine (as Java VM). So all bugs are
incapsulated and don't affect kernel. Even severe bugs
in this LISP kernel module can cause termination of
user space application only (except of stack overflow
- which I can address). LISP error message will be
printed in the kernel log.

Serge.