Re: 3com issues in 2.6.5

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 10:58:08 EST

On Monday 05 April 2004 11:28, Hugo Mills wrote:

>> > Let me ask you, are you noticing slowness sending or receiving?
>> > I'm
>>
>> having
>>
>> Yes, this is why I started to look at the problem.
>> (slow as in 100 kb/s in a 100 Mbit/s LAN).
>
> I'm reasonably certain that there's something wrong somewhere
> with the 2.6 network subsystem. I've been getting _very_ slow
> network performance with a PCI natsemi card -- characterised by
> repeated netdev watchdog timeouts under any load heavier than an
> ssh terminal session.
>
> Hugo.

I'd be more inclined to blame it on the card driver, Hugo. I have a
nightly rsync session that scans and updates a mirror of several
partitions on my firewall box to a disk in this box, and it hasn't
generated any error messages yet, over about 20 2.6.x kernels,
currently running 2.6.5. I get an 100% normal email from rsync every
night, but no errors are being logged. Its a 100base T network,
driver 8139too on this end, an 8129 based card on the other end, and
with an old (I think, its been 6 years) dlink FA-310 (ne2k-pci) on
the other card serveing the dsl connection.

The firewall itself is connected to the dsl thru a second 10-baseT
card and a router with the firewall connecting the 2 cards.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)