Re: PROBLEM: Consistently slower 3ware RAID performance under 2.6.4

From: Timothy Miller
Date: Mon Apr 05 2004 - 09:55:08 EST

Andrew Morton wrote:

You cannot compare 2.4 and 2.6 kernel write performance with `dd', because
the kernels are tuned differently. 2.6 kernels are tuned to leave less
dirty pages in memory than a 2.4 kernel. Hence when your dd has finished,
40% of memory will be dirty (needing writeout) under 2.6, but this figure
is 60% on 2.4.

So the 2.6 kernel does more writeout during the dd run and less writeout
after dd has finished. The 2.4 kernel does less writeout during the dd run
and more writeout after dd has finished.

To compare IO performance you'll need to set 2.6's /proc/sys/vm/dirty_ratio
to 60 and /proc/sys/vm/dirty_async_ratio to 30. Or use write-and-fsync
from http://www.zip.com.au/~akpm/linux/patches/stuff/ext3-tools.tar.gz with
the `-f' option.

I don't know why the read bandwidth appears to be lower. Try increasing
the readahead with `blockdev --setra'?

That's odd. I've tried different mem= kernel parameters with no change in throughput under 2.4. That is, 1G vs. 128M vs. 32M all perform the same under 2.4 when doing dd to a block device. On the other hand, available RAM makes a HUGE difference when doing dd to a _file_system_.

I haven't tried that under 2.6 yet.

Anyhow, I chose a 1GB test run so as diminish cache effects and file system overhead. Is my logic flawed here?

Thanks.