Re: [PANIC] ohci1394 & copy large files

From: Ben Collins
Date: Sun Apr 04 2004 - 19:25:32 EST

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 10:07:56AM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 09:17, Ben Collins wrote:
>
> > Because the fix was pretty extensive and needed testing. It was
> > potentially more broken that the problem it was fixing. Sending untested
> > patches to Linus is far worse than batching a few up and pushing to him.
>
> Ok, makes sense, it wasn't just a 1-liner quick fix then ;)
>
> Still, from my experience, _very few_ people actually test things in
> trees like ieee1394, fbdev, etc... Even my tree isn't what it used
> to be for pmacs now that I'm fully in sync upstream.
>
> Even -mm lately haven't been as tested as it used to be (possibly
> because of upstream getting better). I find it's quite ok to send
> a fix that needs a bit more testing to a Linus -rc1 (but not later),

People that experience problems that I have a fix for in the repo,
usually get pointed to that repo for testing.

In this case I did the fix after -rc2, wasn't comfortable enough to send
it for -rc3 and I think I may wait for 2.6.6-rc1 since there's a harder
to reproduce bug now that I have to fix (I haven't seen it, but a few
people that tested our repo have reported it).

--
Debian - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://www.linux1394.org/