linux 2.4.25 crashes windows

From: Kyle Davenport
Date: Sun Apr 04 2004 - 12:09:30 EST

No joke. 64-bit Windows Advanced Server 2003 blue-screens on file share
access. I was using Samba 3.0 on RH8 to routinely access windows
shares. When I upgraded from 2.4.22 to 2.4.25, any attempt to access a
sub-directory of a share mounted from 64-bit Win2003, immediately
crashes windows. I rolled back to 2.4.22 and no crash. I tried 2.4.25
against a 32-bit 2003 Win2003, and no crash. I didn't test different
versions of Samba. But on 2.4.25, trying to ls a sub-directory of the
mounted share or cd to that sub-directory, instantly and repeatedly
blue-screens windows.

I have no idea how the kernel change could be causing this. Seems to me
like it should depend entirely on Samba. I did attempt to reproduce the
problem with tcp-replay. I sent the identical tcp/ip packets involved
without crashing windows. Apparently share authentication is required.

My company has informed Microsoft of the problem, weeks ago, but I am
getting tired of waiting for a fix.

Congrats to everyone involved!