Re: Drivers *dropped* between releases? (sis5513.c)

From: Roland Mas
Date: Sun Apr 04 2004 - 10:53:04 EST

Lionel Bouton, 2004-04-03 10:50:08 +0200 :

> Roland Mas wrote the following on 04/03/2004 10:19 AM :
>
>>[...]
>> More relevant info (maybe): I got an old version of the Debian
>>installer, which uses an older kernel, and the process goes on
>>normally (well, it halts later because the built-in NIC has a stupid
>>MAC address, but that's another problem).
>
> If you can find the time, please check that this old installer
> doesn't use the sis5513 driver or DMA transfers. If it does both,
> I'd be really interested by the exact kernel version used.

uname -a reports "2.4.22-1-386", although I suppose it's been patched
by the debian-installer team. After hardware detection has run and
worked (as in, no hangs), sis5513 does indeed appear in lsmod, and
"dmesg | grep -i dma" tells me hda and hdc do use DMA.

> If it doesn't, you'd probably found yourself a workaround by
> disabling dma at boot time.

I couldn't find out how to do that. I tried booting with a long
"linux nodma hda=nodma hdc=nodma ide=nodma idebus=nodma" command-line,
but that didn't seem to change much. I also tried disabling
everything that looked like DMA in the BIOS setup, to no avail. dmesg
still tells me the kernel uses DMA (or maybe I don't understand what
dmesg tells me, which is of course entirely possible).

Roland.
--
Roland Mas

Late frost burns the bloom / Would a fool not let the belt / Restrain the body?
-- in Good Omens (Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman)