Who maintains the atp870u driver? (ACARD PCI SCSI)

From: Stuart Longland
Date: Sun Apr 04 2004 - 10:38:39 EST

Hi All,
Does anyone still maintain the atp870u SCSI driver, and if so, is it
possible for them to contact me? I had a look in the atp870u.c file --
if I read this correctly, this driver hasn't changed much in the last
few years. (Last log entry was in 2001).

Basically, I recently acquired a PCI ACARD SCSI card (can't recall what
chipset exactly) and decided to use that in a Gateway Microserver server
appliance I had laying around. The intent was to plug it into an
external tower of hard drives to make a nice compact fileserver for lans.

The machine is a clone of the Cobalt Qube 2 (2800) server appliance,
running a 250MHz (?) MIPS "Nervada" R5200 CPU, 64MB EDO RAM, and 10GB
IBM IDE HDD internal. It has one PCI slot, attached to a Galileo PCI
controller. When first bought, it had a Lucent Winmodem installed
(Gateway branded). All I've done is simply replaced the modem with this
SCSI card. The box is running Debian 3.0 with Linux Kernel 2.4.24-pre2
(from linux-mips CVS).

If I fire the box up, then run 'modprobe atp870u' -- with no devices
attached (or switched off), the driver loads, no worries. However, if I
try doing the same with a device attached (and switched on), I get SCSI
timeout errors, and the driver initialisation stalls. -- I have to
reboot to unload the driver. (See attachment)

The device in question is the tower of hard drives I mentioned above
(has 3x 18.2GB and 1x 9.1GB HDDs). I know from previous testing that
neither the tower, the cable nor the terminator are at fault -- they
work just fine on both an SGI Indy and my main machine (with an Advansys
SCSI card) without any hassles. I have also tried plugging in an
external tape drive, and got the same results.

The only thing that I haven't tested is whether the card works (it was
sold second hand with a CDRW burner -- I presumed it did, and from the
tests tonight, there's at least a little bit of life), and what its
compatability is with Linux (in particular Linux/MIPS). I've also tried
an Advansys SCSI card (the one in my main box) in the same machine with
no joy (it didn't work _at all_ -- so the ACARD host is currently doing
better right now)

I'm not able to hack the driver myself, as I'm a newbie when it comes
to kernel hacking. (Otherwise I'd be looking into it right
now...unfortunately I'm a C newbie, and therefore the code is right over
my head.) I might also later try the Linux-MIPS crew if this turns out
to be a MIPS-specific thing (I can't rule that one out).

Any assistance would be appreciated,
- --
| Stuart Longland stuartl at longlandclan.hopto.org |
| Brisbane Mesh Node: 719 http://stuartl.cjb.net/ |
| I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on a tape somewhere |
| Atomic Linux Project <---> http://atomicl.berlios.de/ |