Re: drivers/char/dz.[ch]: reason for keeping?

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw
Date: Sun Apr 04 2004 - 06:18:33 EST

On Sun, 2004-04-04 10:12:41 +0100, Russell King <rmk+lkml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message <20040404101241.A10158@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Since we have drivers/serial/dz.[ch] now merged, is there a reason to
> keep drivers/char/dz.[ch] around any more? I notice people keep doing
> cleanups, but this is wasted effort if the driver is superseded by the
> new drivers/serial/dz.[ch] driver.

The VAX port also (still) uses a modified version of the d/c/dz.[ch]
driver. Also, the MIPS guys may have some outstanding patches...

So, please let's do two things before throwing away the old driver:

- The MIPS guys need to be happy; they might have some
outstanding changes...
- The VAX guys need to start using the new driver, I'll just
start and try to port over our changes.

While at it, I've already implemented some SERIO changes. That'll allow
the dz.c driver to announce that it waits for LK-style keyboard on one
port and VSXXX-style mouse/digitizer on the 2nd port...

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx . +49-172-7608481
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg