Re: 2.6.4 : 100% CPU use on EIDE disk operarion, VIA chipset

From: Andreas Hartmann
Date: Sun Apr 04 2004 - 03:25:27 EST

Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
Hello,

Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> It turned out that on disk-intensive operation, the "system" CPU usage
> skyrockets. With a mere "cp" of a large file to the same direstory
> (tested with ext3fs and FAT32 file systems), it is 100% practically all
> of the time !
But you're right, 2.6.4 is slower than 2.4.25. See the thread "Very poor performance with 2.6.4" here in the list.

As recommended there, I have tried 2.6.5-rc3-mm4.

No change. Still 100% CPU usage; the performance seems teh same.

Yes. But it's curious:
Take a tar-file, e.g. tar the compiled 2.6 kernel directory. Than, untar it again - the machine behaves total normaly. And the 2.6-kernel is about 23% faster than the 2.4-kernel.

Yours, Mikhail Ramendik

P.S. Sorry for making all comments into answers to your letter. I just
don't want to break the thread.

No problem - it's easier to read with comment directly in the text.

Regards,
Andreas Hartmann